Bare with me as I plead my plight. If there is one thing I can be snooty about, it’s the type of paper towels I buy. For years my favorite brand was Viva® Choose-a-Sheet Paper Towels, for their cloth-like texture that kicked every other towel brand in the rear. In fact, if you told me they were Shop Towels I would have believed you. Paper towels are like toilet paper, if you’re not springing for the best quality you might as well just be reusing sandpaper. Unfortunately…quality comes at a cost. The rolls barely lasted a few days thanks to the tornadic nature of my old roommates and I. At nearly $2 a roll each month, the burden was starting to add up fast. But Kirkland Paper Towels would change all that.
Upon a visit to Iowa City, a friend took me on my first trip to Costco Wholesale as a guest. As we zipped through every other aisle, my friend grabbed a pack of Kirkland SignatureTM brand Paper Towels and slammed it on top of the pile in the cart. For all intents and purposes, this pack was massive. At a staggering 12-rolls for a $15 price tag (at the time), this was a bang-for-your-buck deal. Compare their Create-a-Size to Viva®‘s Choose-a-Sheet slogan, it was pretty easy to see they were of similar or superior quality.
My friend offered me a couple rolls, and proudly stated “Here’s a sample to turn you into a believer of the Kirkland value.” I couldn’t help but notice that the rolls by themselves were hefty. And at the low-price of free, I gladly accepted. Upon returning home, it was quite astonishing how much the Kirkland® brand compared to Viva® on quality. Being that Kirkland brand is a private label, I have since heard that it is actually Bounty® who produces the paper towels for Costco. What’s better than to get the same strong, thick, absorbent paper towel you can find in a name brand at a lesser price?
But there was just one problem though. The Kirkland paper towels are just too damn large for my under-cabinet paper towel holder. Talk about a First World Problem, right? A simple fix is just to sit the roll upright like any self-respecting fool. But in the back of your mind, the idea that one thing is causing kitchen space issues eats at you. And it eats deeeeeep.
A Kirkland Paper Towel roll measures out at 11-inches tall, and a roughly 5.75-inch diameter, and the under-cabinet holder could accommodate a 5-inch diameter roll . I was left with no choice but to go out into the real world and purchase a fancy paper-towel holder. This time I picked up a Push&Tear Towel Holder by guzziniTM. I figured that if the space between the paper towel center and cabinet board was the issue, then I would get a vertical-stand holder. Makes sense right?
The fits all paper towel rolls holder I got was still too damn small. But this time, the other way. The holder pin measures a height of 10-inches, but the Costco Kirkland Paper Towel is 11-inches tall. Was I suddenly transfered to a bizarro world where there is some paper towel cartel had some planned obsolescence of paper towel holders? Maybe, but fortunately the Internet exists.
The Solution – Holders for Kirkland Paper Towels
What holder will the Costco Paper Towel fit? Thankfully, after much research. I found a few options with plenty of reviews on Amazon. The Kamenstein Perfect Tear Wall Mount Paper Towel Holder and the Vertical One Handed Paper Towel Holder.
- The holder's ingenious patented Perfect Tear Technology features a ratchet system prevents rolls from unraveling
- Easily mount horizontal under a cabinet or vertical on the call; mounting hardware included
- Enjoy simple, one-hand operation; just pull and tear with perfect results every time
- In most cases, paper towel rolls simply slides on and off the roller, without having to remore the finial
- The interior wire roller is designed to fit any size roll, even jumbo sized rolls
- ONEHAND - Grab and tear off a single sheet of paper towel with only one hand all the way to the last sheet.
- STABLE - We added extra weight to the non-slip base so it never moves around while you're pulling off sheets.
- SIMPLE - No buttons, levers, or spring activated arms to use. Just slide your fresh paper towel roll down and you're done. Our silicone grip design does the work.
- STAINLESS steel construction makes this last forever and look beautiful in your kitchen or office.
- ANY SIZE paper towel roll will fit. So go ahead and get that extra large roll.
Both items include Questions and Answers for you to verify that these indeed work for the very large Costco Paper Towel rolls.
Last update on 2017-06-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API